Friday, January 9, 2009
Tanuki in Japanese means "Racoon Dog". This legendary character is known for being jolly and mischievous (like me), a master of disguise, and sometimes gullible and absentminded. These statues can be found outside Japanese temples and restaurants. It is believed that the Tanuki hold 8 special traits that bring good fortune. According to Wikepedia these 8 traits are:
1. A bamboo hat that protects against trouble
2. Big eyes to perceive the environment and help make good decisions
3. A sake bottle that represents virtue
4. A big tail that provides steadiness and strength until success is achieved
5. Over-sized testicles that symbolize financial luck
6. A promissory note that represents trust
7. A big belly that symbolizes bold decisiveness
8. A friendly smile.
Here I am with "Twilight", the Tanuki outside my grandmother's house.
Posted by Audrey at 1:16 AM